September 28, 2006

When Is Yet?

Today, I had this interaction with Riley:

Riley: "Mommy come home now?"
Me: "No, she's still gotta work a little. So, not yet."
A long moment passed.
Riley: "Now is yet?"

Interesting paradox for a near-three-year-old to try to wrap his head around. "Yet" arrives the very moment it no longer exists. You hear "not yet" and "still not yet," but never "yet."

It's a kind of Zeno's Paradox in a way.

You can relearn a lot about language concepts and their twisty complications when you accompany someone learning them for the first time.

I ask you: "When is yet?"

6 comments:

Kay Ely said...

I love reading your blog. And, I especially enjoyed this post.

Kirsten said...

Poor Sean looks like Kaitlyn is killing him with kindness in the photo shown with your comment.

the pickenblogger said...

Thanks for the compliment, Kyle and Renee. I'm trying to make this blog an accessible read. Keep stopping by. There's more to come.

Kirsten said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Susan finally saw this today and particularly enjoyed it. Dad

Kirsten said...

Ah...but no one can tell us when is "yet".