February 03, 2008

Lawnmower (Wo)man

This is our new lawnmower. We've decided to go against the LA-area grain and take care of our own lawn. Let me explain...

Gardeners are a dime a dozen around here. Almost everybody has one. In fact, one came with our house when we bought it. He worked for the former owners and approached us shortly after we moved in to see if we would like to hire him too. We did, and all was well and good for a while. But then he began missing a week here and there, and the quality of his work started declining. Still, it seemed easier to keep using him than to search for another gardener.

In a twist of irony, he quit last November. He gave me some flimsy story about how he was too busy to do our yard anymore and that he was having to get up too early to get all of his jobs done. The backstory is that he offered to trim our trees for $450 (an amount equal to almost 6 months of his weekly yard service but not an unreasonable fee for tree trimming). I initially accepted his offer, but later declined it, after some investigation, in favor of hiring a licensed contractor. I explained to the gardener that I need to be conscious of insurance requirements, as well as municipal requirements, when it comes to tree trimming because of my attorney status. He said he understood and that it was not a problem, but a week later he was suddenly too busy to cut our little yard (although he continues to handle our next door neighbor's yard).

Long story short, I'm cutting the grass myself every three weeks or so. It looks better now than it did when we had a gardener. Another bonus is not having to hear that blasted gasoline powered blower on the front porch every Tuesday morning.

Sorry, Mom, no pictures of me pushing the mower around, but I'm sure you can remember well enough what that looked like when I was a teenager.

1 comment:

Kay Ely said...

Your mom may remember, but for those of us who don't maybe you should post some pictures. :) Way to do it yourself!