May 02, 2007

Wild California

Chris and I were just standing out on the back step last night gazing at the mountains and discussing how surreal it is for us to be living so close to untamed nature. Then today, as I was surfing the net, I came across an article about the recent visit of three California black bears to (very) nearby Bradbury. That's only a mile and a half east of us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Riley's preschool needs to teach "Waltzing with Bears"! Wa-Wa-Wawa. We have had peregrine falcons hatching eggs on the County City Building and ospreys nesting in three sites along the St. Joe near St. Mary's. There's also a coyote living at Morris Park C.C. Has Riley seen his opossum lately?. No bears here except for Uncle Bear and he can be pretty sweet.

Kirsten said...

Two weeks ago Riley and I saw one of the baby opossums coming down off the front porch as we returned from grocery shopping. A day or so later, I saw a large dead opossum in the middle of the street about two houses down from us. There have been no opossum sightings since; I hope the babies were not orphaned. We do, however, have a resident bluebird and hummingbird in the back yard now.

the pickenblogger said...

"We do, however, have a resident bluebird ... in the back yard now."

And I'm pretty sure that bird wants my blood. I don't like the way it looks at me.

Anonymous said...

Northern IN boasts much wild life...not all wonderful..the skunks like to roam among the houses. We have many geese (quite nice), groundhogs, and raccoons (seen often on trash pick up day). A visit has been made by a fox and a howling wolf recently.

Kirsten said...

No wolves in CA; you've got us beat there. We do have mountain lions though. I have to disagree with Linda's description of geese as "quite nice." When I was 4 or 5, I had a friend who had a goose. They kept it in their yard. Every time I came over to play, the darn thing would chase me from the gate to her front door, pecking and nipping at my legs. Ever since, I tend to think of them as "attack birds." No need for a guard dog when you've got a goose handy.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...those were the South Mountain Road days. What a piece of heaven that was! No wolves, probaby bears although never sighted, and more than a few copperheads. The original elkhound alerted us to one of them, close to where you were playing in the sandbox. Did the Hursts own the goose?

Kirsten said...

No, it was my friend Suzanne. I can't remember her last name. How different life would have been if we had stayed on South Mountain Road! Apple cider doughnut, anyone?