June 04, 2007

Ho-hum

It was a quiet weekend for the P3 household. I brought home a ton of work in preparation for taking next week off. Ever wonder why scheduled relaxation means you must work all the harder beforehand? Chris kindly took Riley to work with him Saturday afternoon so I could have a few hours to myself. I made good use of the time and made a big dent in the piles of paper. So much so that Riley and I drove to my office Sunday night to take it all back, so that I wouldn't have to juggle it on the train on Monday. He loves to go to both of our offices (Chris' and mine). His job is to push all of the elevator buttons for me, and he takes the responsibility very seriously.

I also bombed the playhouse/gardenshed in the backyard with insecticide on Saturday. For those of you who haven't already heard the tale, we have a little house outside the backdoor which one of the former owners used as an office. (Don't ask me how because an adult can't stand fully upright inside.) Anyway, he had some grungy old carpet in there that we've been meaning to pull out. I finally got the motivation to do so when I stepped inside the playhouse briefly over Memorial Day weekend and came out with my legs covered (and I do mean covered) in fleas. (I had flashbacks for days!) So, anyway, I treated it on Saturday and hauled the nasty carpet out to the trash later that afternoon. Fleas still seem to find me as a I walk through the yard, but what am I going to do? Bomb the whole outdoors? At least I don't feel like I'm hosting a flea spa and resort right outside our backdoor anymore.

Diversions of a more pleasant nature this weekend included a trip to the Montrose Art and Crafts Festival and Harvest Market for Riley and me on Sunday, plus a visit to the Once Upon a Time Bookstore where we read firefighter books exclusively, and lunch at Dish in La Canada (a terrific kid friendly restaurant). Why does every boy seem to go through the same phases? First, Riley was obsessed with cars; now, he wants to be a firefighter when he grows up. He's also entering a bug phase. We've watched the movie "A Bug's Life" almost every night for the past two weeks!

Later, we walked to the Monrovia Recreation Park with Chris so Riley could play on the playground equipment and we could check out the other park facilities. There are tennis and basketball courts we may make use of in the future.

If Riley had had his druthers, he would have spent the entire weekend on the computer!

3 comments:

Holly said...

The first picture is great. It's like a glimpse of Riley in the future, on the computer with his morning coffee next to him. :-) By the way, sorry we are the WORST pen pals ever! Ella answered Riley's questions forever ago and I just never got around to writing it down. Maybe this week.... :-)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful little computer geek...thanks for the long, informative commentary. Glad the fleas are banished. I think you can get yard sprays for fleas, etc, or have a professional exterminator. I would probably do it, fleas carry bubolic plague. Susan

Kirsten said...

Holly, no worries about the delayed correspondence. Re: glimpse into the future - I think Riley looks like Ian Ziering (aka Steve Sanders) of 90210 fame.