December 03, 2007

Schoolhouse Rock!

The P3 went to the theatre this weekend. No, not the cinema...the "theatre", as in a stage performance.

Chris and I took Riley to a live performance of Schoolhouse Rock! at the Greenway Court Theater. We both fondly remember the animated musical math, science and American history lessons from the 70's (51 in total). The original program has been referenced in movies and spoofed on TV sitcoms. A Chicago company called Theatre BAM created the stage version of the show “Schoolhouse Rock Live!” in 1993 and took it off-Broadway in 1995, where it ran successfully for 11 months. The new 2007 L.A. production at the Greenway Court Theater in the Fairfax/Melrose neighborhood marks the show’s professional Los Angeles premiere. It started this weekend and continues through February 2008. Our Indiana family members might also be interested to know that the production manager at Greenway Court got his BA in Acting at IUSB.

As backstory, Chris and Riley have a ritual of buying a new DVD to watch on nights when I go out with my friends. One evening this past summer, Riley chose Schoolhouse Rock! He loves the songs and listens to it (rather than watches it) on a regular basis. When I saw that a local theatre company was doing a musical version of the program, I was sure that Riley would love it.

The live performance features 20 of the original Schoolhouse Rock! songs and characters. The stage production revolves aroung Tom, a young teacher who is nervously anticipating his first class. The musical numbers are performed with five characters who represent different aspects of Tom's personality, who have emerged to help him ready himself for the big day.


It took Riley a little bit of time to embrace the different format, but by the end of the show he was singing along, clapping his hands, and waving his index fingers back and forth to the beat. We heard all of his favorites: "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly," "Unpack Your Adjectives," and "The Tale of Mr. Morton," among others. He amused the folks sitting in front of us by loudly singing each chorus of "Interjections." I still have the joyous "Elbow Room" and "Interplanet Janet" echoing in my head. Even Chris, whom as I've mentioned earlier does not enjoy musicals, had fun sharing the experience with Riley.


The P3 ended our family outing with Mexican food at The Original Peppers, across from the Santa Anita racetrack. This was our second meal at Peppers, and we were treated like regulars. Sunday's meal wasn't as good as the first, but parking is plentiful, the portions are large (including a grande burrito big enough to feed four people), the service is pleasant, and the whole restaurant is family friendly. The place also has a lot of sports memorabilia, maybe because of its location near the horse track. Last night, when Chris asked me where the men's restroom was, I told him to go back past the hostess stand and "turn left at the big shoe." Turns out that was Shaq's shoe.

3 comments:

Uncle Bear said...

I wish we were closer together, I would of loved to watch Riley watching School House Rock! One of my favorites. We have some of the songs on the kitchen ipod at work and we all sing along. If Riley ever wants to cook wings he'd be right at home.
Also I doubt any burrito can feed four! If we ever come to visit, I'd like to tackle it solo.

Kirsten said...

Hi Uncle Bear! Riley is really looking forward to going to "Grandmother and Grandfather's cottage" next summer. He talks about Howard all the time and what they will play together.

You are all welcome to come out for a visit anytime and stay with us. You'd have at least as much room as you did in the cottage.

Kay Ely said...

That sounds great. I would love to see that.